TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My reply, 8/18/2008
People Seeking Info

Subject My reply, 8/18/2008

Posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 2:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 805 times.

In Reply To Please learn how to read a dynochart. The mix was 12.23 posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 01:50 AM

Message Hi Tony,

This situation has unfortunately gone the route I have feared may occur. I do not appreciate your tone and am appalled by your hasty jump to conclusions when I have repeatedly attempted to explain to you why the source of your engine trouble could not have been a result of the plugs you were running.

In the emails I have sent to you I have asked several specific questions which you have failed to answer. I offered to rework the heads for you free of charge and expedite the work very quickly but you sent them to Kyle instead. I wanted to see the heads first hand myself as well but that opportunity was lost. I requested that you send the ECU to me so I could inspect it but you never sent that either. All I have received from you are a few blurry images of plugs, a piston, a couple of cylinder heads and threatening emails demanding money. I didn’t doubt that the observations you told me about or the pictures you sent to me were the real deal but you have left me almost completely in the dark this whole time and have tried to convince me that I am at fault for recommending an improper plug.

I understand that you are convinced the plugs are at fault so I wont beat a dead horse trying to change that. What really is more important is that you don’t understand that I carry no liability of what happens to your car either while I am tuning it on the dyno or any time thereafter. I have been very willing to help you any way I can and try to figure out what went wrong – even though I can’t be held liable for what happens to your car when you are drag racing it, if I made a mistake in my work I will bend over backwards to make it right. But the problem here is that there isn’t anything indicating to me that I made a mistake. The car performed nearly flawlessly in the dyno session – other than an irrelevant slight slip in the transmission which doesn’t affect the tuning, everything was spot-on. In the road test after tuning, the car only needed a small adjustment in the boost controller to stabilize the boost – other than that, the car ran beautifully and I wasn’t leisurely driving it. I made several recommendations of which I highly stressed for you to do which you failed to take care of – installation of the wideband, bringing me back up for final track tuning, even just a call to let me know you were going to the track to run the car. It is beyond my ability to comprehend why you didn’t install the wideband after I carried on so much about its value to the longevity of your engine. Once you got the car back together and ran it once again, you reported that the fuel mixture was right within the range it was tuned at on the dyno which confirms that the tune is a non-issue - but the ECU isn’t the only other part in the car which can affect the fuel mixture and there is no way of knowing that the mix is safe all the time without a wideband. How do you know the car didn’t lean out?

Let me elaborate on what all was really changed from the point in time the engine failed to the point in time you made those passes at PINKS without issue. The engine was removed and the top end completely torn down. Once the heads were fixed, the engine was reassembled and then reinstalled – all of the hoses, pipes, connectors, etc etc were disconnected and reconnected. Then you changed the plugs.

It is hardly a solid conclusion to say that the plugs were the culprit just because it ran fine down the track with a different set of plugs. That wasn’t the only thing done to the car between when it popped and when you made the passes at PINKS.

At this point none of that matters. These last two emails you sent have made it pretty clear to me that your intentions from the get-go were to simply extort money from me on the threat of making posts on the internet forums about this incident. I stated many weeks prior to the tuning that my reputation as a tuner is valuable. It is one of the things that I do which provides income for my family and I value it. It should come as no surprise that I would do whatever necessary to resolve problems I am responsible for. I have tried and tried – but no longer. I do not respond favorably to the tactics you are using and I don’t think anyone else would either.

If you feel compelled to tell the world about this situation it may very well be the best thing that could happen. The information you have gathered from other individuals about the spark plugs is misinformation and if you wont listen to what I have to say about it, perhaps you may respond better to hearing it from a public forum from others who use the 6B-11B plugs in cars making more power than yours and being run longer and harder than ¼ mile drag races. There is simply no empirical evidence showing that these plugs are wrong for the setup. You can read any website document and interpret it however you like but there is no better proof than the number of Z’s not having issues with those plugs.

I cannot bring myself to offer you anything more when you resort to extortion. I think it should be apparent to you that your words and actions at this point raise serious questions in my mind about what really happened and how forthcoming you have really been about the details – how can I possibly bring myself to trying to help someone who acts this way?

If you do find it in yourself to reconsider, I need you to understand that at this point I am not going to pay out any money. However, I am willing to turn a blind eye to your tactics for sake of trying to find a better solution that we can both be happier with. It doesn’t have to be this way and we will both stand to benefit if we can work this out.

Sincerely,

Ash Powers

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.